Indigenous signs for cities in Egypt (مصر)
Flags: World flag database.
Map: Maps.com - "search" for country, then "Digital Map Graphics".
Map: Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection.
For a quick, interesting resource for facts about this and other countries,
try Mystic Planet - The New Age directory of Planet Earth.
Explanation of glossing system used
(to understand how I describe the signs in this dictionary)
- Abu Simbel (ابو سمبل)
- (2h)[S], cross arms at wrists. NDH stays in place while DH taps against it. For a film that demonstrates this sign, go to Cairo Egypt Deaf KFC at time 5:47.
- Aswan (اسوان)
- (2h), POs down, FOs away, NDH is held in place while DH brushes against its top in a direction away from the signer several times. For a film that demonstrates this sign, go to Cairo Egypt Deaf KFC at time 5:43.
- Cairo (القاهرة)
- (1) [5:], PO down, descends slightly. For a film of this sign, click on Cairo. (2) [C], PO > NDS, FO up, twists at nose so that PO ends up downwards + [G], PO down, descends twice. For a film that demonstrates this sign, go to Cairo Egypt Deaf KFC at time 5:54.
- Luxor (الأقصر)
- (2h)[A] cross hands and touch chest with thumbs. To see a video of this sign, go to Sematos - LSE - Luxor.
List of sources cited
1. القاموس الإشاري العربي للصم.
2. Cairo Egypt Deaf KFC.