Indigenous signs for cities in Sri Lanka ()
Flags: World flag database.
Map: Maps.com - "search" for country, then "Digital Map Graphics".
Map: Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection.
For a quick, interesting resource for facts about this and other countries,
try Mystic Planet - The New Age directory of Planet Earth.
Explanation of glossing system used
(to understand how I describe the signs in this dictionary)
- Akuressa ()
- Slide index finger down from the top of the index finger, PO away, FO up, then touch knuckle of [X] to middle of the radial (pinky) side of , PO away, FO up.1 (< ?, looks closer to the BSL fingerspelling of E-K, than A-K.)
- Anuradhapura ()
-  touches thumb of , PO away, FO up + (2h)[C], POs down, FOs away, move from side to side antisymmetrically.1 (< the first part is a BSL manual letter "A", the second part is not known to me)
- Colombo ()
- [bC], PO away, FO up, is held up. (< BSL manual letter "C")
- Galle ()
- (2h)[S], POs ><, FOs away, DH strikes NDH from above + , PO down, FO away, strikes palm of [B], PO up, FO > DS.1 (< BSL fingerspelling G-L)
- Jaffna ()
- [open 8] drags middle finger across forehead with elbow pointed > DS + Draw a "J" on the palm.1 (< the Sri Lankan sign for India/Hindu and the BSL manual letter "J")
- Kandy ()
-  touches side of mouth + knuckle of [X] is placed against the middle of the palmar side of the index finger, so that it looks like a "k".1 (< the second half is a BSL manual letter "K". Perhaps the first part is from "candy"?)
- Kataragama ()
- (2h)[A dot], POs away, FOs up, are held at the level of the head and rise and fall antisymetrically.1
- Matara ()
- [O] touches FT to nose, descends while opening to a , and moves diagonally > DS.1
- Nuwara Eliya ()
- [H] touches FT to DS of nose and moves > DS + (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, move in small antisymmetric circles normal [perpendicular] to the chest.1
- Sri Pada/Adam’s Peak ()
- Upper part of [B], POs > signer, FOs up, touches forehead while looling upwards.1
- Polonnaruwa ()
- [bO], PO > NDS, FO up, strikes FT of , PO > DS, FO up + (2h)[A dot], POs > signer, FOs up.1 (< the first part is the BSL manual letter "P".)
- Trincomalee ()
- Slide index finger down from the middle of the radial (pinky) side of [B], PO > signer, FO up, then touch knuckle of [X] to middle of the radial (pinky) side of [B], PO > signer, FO up.1 (< BSL fingerspelling of T-R.)
1. For an illustration of this sign, see http://www.rohanaspecialschool.org/dictionary/15SriLanka&World.pdf