Indigenous signs for cities in Switzerland (die Schweiz, Suisse)
Flag: World flag database.
Map: Maps.com - "search" for country, then "Digital Map Graphics".
For a quick, interesting resource for facts about this and other countries,
try Mystic Planet - The New Age directory of Planet Earth.
Explanation of glossing system used
(to understand how I describe the signs in this dictionary)
- [B], PO down, touches forehead, then chin.1
- (1) (2h)[5:] alt. claw at the air.1 (< the the claws of a bear which animal is the city's emblem.) (2) (2h)[5:] claw at air together. (< the the claws of a bear which animal is the city's emblem.)
- (2h), POs ><, arms cross at forearms.1
- [5:] runs FTs down cheek.1
- [B], PO > signer, touches temple, then pronates.1
- [F], PO away, supinates. 1
- Geneva (Genève)
- [bC], PO > signer, touches chin then closes while moving away.1
- [S], PO away, is moved from side to side like shaking dice.1
- Shake [L], PO away, FO up, from side to side.1
- Lucerne (Luzern)
- Fingers are held in a handshape that combines [L] and [U], PO away, FO up, and shaken from side to side.1
- [N], PO away, is swung from side to side like a pendulum in a downward arc.1
- St. Galen
- [B^] taps side of neck.1
- , PO towards signer, is shaken slightly from side to side1 [< "Solo"="allein (alone)"?]
- (2h)[S] are held at neck level with elbows close to body and shaken as if the signer were cold.1 [< the sign for "Winter (winter)"]
- Zurich (Zuerich)
- FT of  draws a "Z" in the air.1
List of sources cited
1. Beat Marchetti, native signer informant, personal communication, 1998.