Indigenous signs for cities in Taiwan (台湾)
Flag: World flag database.
Map: Maps.com - "search" for country, then "Digital Map Graphics".
For a quick, interesting resource for facts about this and other countries,
try Mystic Planet - The New Age directory of Planet Earth.
Explanation of glossing system used
(to understand how I describe the signs in this dictionary)
- DH , PO down, runs finger across FTs (held together) of NDH [F], PO up, FO away.1
- Kaohsiung (高雄)
- (2h)[L:], FOs up, rubs thumbs against temples.1
- Taichung (台中)
- DH , PO away, FO up, is held behind and touches NDH [G], FO > DS. [< the sign CHUNG - "center" which also resembles the ideogram ("character") for that word.]1
- Tainan (台南)
- (1) [B], PO down brushes chin 2x with thumb side.1 (2) Thumb of [bO^] is held against DS nostril while opening to [L].1
- Taipei (台北)
- (2h)[L], POs > signer, FOs up, tap pinkie sides together 2x. [< sign for "north" which also resembles the ideogram (character) for that word.]1
List of sources cited
1. Native signer informant (name lost), personal communication, 1990.