(Explanation of the glossing system)
FIRST-ON-LIST, WE ADMIT RESIST (2h)alt.DRINK-ALCOHOL, POWERLESS. OUR LIVES SCREWED-UP.
SECOND-ON-LIST, STEP-BY-STEP WE BELIEVE POWER SUPREME HELP-us THINK CLEAR.
THIRD-ON-LIST, DECIDE OFFER-UP OUR WILL AND LIFE GOD TAKE-CARE-OF-us, WHATEVER WAY WE VISUALIZE HIM-rt.
FOURTH-ON-LIST, OUR CHARACTER GO-AHEAD ANALYZE++-self DEEP, NOT AFRAID.
FIFTH-ON-LIST, ADMIT TO GOD, OURSELVES AND ANOTHER PERSON, EXACT alt.DO-WRONG.
SIXTH-ON-LIST, ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT READY GOD REMOVE OUR CHARACTER PROBLEM.
SEVENTH-ON-LIST, WE HUMBLE REQUEST-FROM-God (role play) OFF-PATH-lf&rt, PLEASE REMOVE.
EIGHTH-ON-LIST, MAKE-LIST EVERYONE WE HURT AND BECOME WILLING CANCEL WRONG WE DO.
NINTH-ON-LIST, WE CANCEL WRONG IF POSSIBLE, EXCEPT MAKE WORSE, BETTER LEAVE-ALONE.
TEN, CONTINUE ANALYZE++-self. IF WRONG, ADMIT FAST.
ELEVEN, WE (<) PRAY, (>) MEDITATE, FOR-FOR? REALLY-WANT IMPROVE RELATIONSHIP GOD, WHATEVER WE VISUALIZE. PRAY KNOW HIS-rt WILL AND POWER D-O-I-T.
TWELVE, FINISH WAKE-UP UNDERSTAND SPIRITUAL THROUGH FOLLOW STEPS, WE TRY INFORM"each" ALCOHOLICS AND APPLY PRINCIPLES EVERYTHING WE DO.
Notes: FIRST-ON-LIST and so on - NDH , PO > signer, FO > DS, and DH taps thumb for "FIRST-ON-LIST, DH  taps index finger for SECOND-ON-LIST, and taps middle finger for THIRD-ON-LIST and so on. For SIX- to NINE- the hand shape twists the thumb contact of the DH against the thumb of the NDH. TEN- and on are the same as the cardinal (regular) number.
POWERLESS - Thumb of [C] is placed on bicep and closes as in FLAT-TIRE.
SCREWED-UP - (2h)[5:], FOs away, DH is held high, PO down at its side and NDH is held low, PO up at its side. Both hands interchange PO and levels while moving slightly > DS.
STEP-BY-STEP - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, DH is held ahead of NDH, then NDH leapfrogs over DH, and DH over NDH, with a slight pause after each step. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - procedure. Note that the pauses are not shown in the movie.
SUPREME - (2h)[A], FOs away, DH starts below NDH and arcs around it until it is on top.
WILL - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
TAKE-CARE-OF-us - (2h)[K] are crossed at wrists and FT > signer move in a vertical circle normal (perpendicular) to the chest.
HIM - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
GO-AHEAD - (2h)[B^ dot], POs ><, FOs away, move forward in a jerk.
(role play) - face the person or entity that you are talking to.
OFF-PATH-lf&rt - DH [S], PO > NDS, flicks finger > NDS from off , PO > NDS, FO up. Then DH flicks > DS.
REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity. (The same sign as WILL.)
ALCOHOLICS - ALCOHOL SICK AGENT is the preferred sign in AA.
STEPS - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, DH is held ahead of NDH, then NDH leapfrogs over DH, and DH over NDH. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - procedure.
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.