(Explanation of the glossing system)
(1) FIRST-ON-LIST, #ALL-OF-US SUCCEED TOGETHER, TOP-PRIORITY. A-A GROUP COOPERATE, MEAN EACH MEMBER RECOVER CAN.
(2) SECOND-ON-LIST, GROUP AUTHORITY HIS-God's. GOD MEAN WHAT? THINK-YOURSELVES. PERSON LEAD US, WE TRUST INDEX-lf SERVE US. CONTROL, DON'T-MEAN-TO-SAY.
(3) THIRD-ON-LIST, #IF PERSON INDEX-rt WANT JOIN-lf A-A, REQUIRE "WHAT"? INDEX-rt REALLY-WANT alt.DRINK-ALCOHOL STOP*. THAT'S-ALL.
(4) FOURTH-ON-LIST, A-A, GROUP@lf, GROUP@rt, IMPORTANT SEPARATE. ONCE-IN-AWHILE COUNSEL EACH-OTHER CAN.
(5) FIFTH-ON-LIST, ALCOHOLIC INDEX-rt STILL STRUGGLE, A-A GROUP@lf lf-HELP-rt IMPORTANT (1h)AWFUL*.
(6) SIXTH-ON-LIST, A-A GROUP@lf SUPPORT SELF-lf MUST. OUTSIDE WANT rt-PAY-FOR-lf, CAN'T.
(7) SEVENTH-ON-LIST, A-A GROUP@lf lf-LEND-TO-rt (<) MONEY, (>) NAME OUTSIDE, NEVER. WHY? REALLY-WANT FOCUS GOAL. OFF-POINT-TO-lf-AND-rt, NO-NO.
(8) EIGHTH-ON-LIST, A-A PEOPLE VOLUNTEER HELP EACH-OTHER. SOMETIMES OFFICE@lf HIRE-rt SPECIAL WORKER, INDEX-lf lf-PAY-rt, FINE.
(9) NINTH-ON-LIST, A-A HIERARCHY, NOT. (<) COMMITTEE, (>) BOARD, TWO-OF-THEM RESPONSIBLE SERVE EACH MEMBER.
(10) TEN, A-A ANNOUNCE OPINION ABOUT SOMETHING OUTSIDE A-A, ILLEGAL. WHY? WE DON'T-WANT CONTROVERSY.
(11) ELEVEN, A-A INDEX-lf REALLY-WANT PEOPLE FEEL ATTRACTED-TO-lf. ADVERTISE, DON'T-MEAN-TO-SAY. NEWSPAPER, RADIO, T-V, ETC. WANT USE SOMEONE POSS-ctr LAST NAME, FORBIDDEN.
(12) TWELVE, TOP* TRADITION "WHAT"? CONFIDENTIAL. PERSONALITY, SET-ASIDE. FOCUS-ON PRINCIPLE+ SAY~PERIOD.
Notes: FIRST-ON-LIST and so on - NDH , PO > signer, FO > DS, and DH taps thumb for "FIRST-ON-LIST, DH  taps index finger for SECOND-ON-LIST, and taps middle finger for THIRD-ON-LIST and so on. For SIX- to NINE- the hand shape twists the thumb contact of the DH against the thumb of the NDH. TEN- and on are the same as the cardinal (regular) number.
#ALL-OF-US - [A], PO > NDS, FO up touches DS shoulder then [L^], PO > signer touches NDS shoulder.
TOP-PRIORITY - palm of DH  strikes index finger of , PO > signer, FO > DS.
RECOVER - (2h), FTs touch shoulders and move away while closing to (2h)[S].
THINK-YOURSELVES - Index finger of [L] touches the temple, then moves forward while changing to an [A}, PO > NDS, FO away, and sweeps > NDS.
DON'T-MEAN-TO-SAY - , PO > NDS, FO up, - brought to mouth with pl.
REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
THAT'S-ALL - FINISH with the mouthing "that's all".
(1h)AWFUL* - , PO > NDS, FO away, is brought back over the shoulder while flicking to an [open 8] while mouthing "hu".
rt-PAY-FOR-lf - [O^], PO > person one is paying for, moves towards person while closing to an [A].
OFF-POINT-TO-lf-AND-rt - DH [S], PO > NDS, flicks finger off to the left and then to the right.
NO-NO - a , PO away, FO up, - shaken side to side.
(2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, touch FTs, then separate several times while moving up.
CONTROVERSY - (2h) shake fingers at one another while rising.
CONFIDENTIAL - [C] is held at mouth and closes to an [S].
SET-ASIDE - (2h)[B], POs > DS, with DH higher, palms are pressed against imaginary wall that is pushed to one side.
SAY~PERIOD - [bO] touches mouth and then twists to sign period emphatically.
1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon
2. For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority--a loving God
as he may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but
trusted servants; they do not govern.
3. The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups
of A.A. as a whole.
5. Each group has but one primary purpose--to carry its message to the
alcoholic who still suffers.
6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance or lend the A.A. name to any
related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property
and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
7. Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside
8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our
service centers may employ special workers.
9. A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards
or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A.
name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than
promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of
press, radio and films.
12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever
reminding us to place principles before personalities.