EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1, 5. (2h)LOOK-TO-lf CROSS. LORD CONTROL LIFE NOW CRUCIFIED. GOD HIS-rt ONLY SON. MARY HER-ctr O-W-N BABY, NOW COLD, QUIET. NONE HELP-lf WHILE MARY WATCH STAND CALVARY.
2. HANDS CRUCIFIED, FEET CRUCIFIED. J-U-D-A-S BETRAY HOW? KISS-cheek HIS-lf CHEEK. JESUS HIS HEART PIERCED, TOUCHED. HIMSELF-lf LOVE, CRUCIFIED FOR ME, FOR (2h)YOU.
3. SOME EYES REFUSE SEE. SOME EARS REFUSE HEAR. SOME USED-TO-BE CLOSE-FRIENDS DENY KNOW HIM-lf. JESUS LOOKS-AT-you (2h)YOU. THEN TIME GO CALVARY, DIE.
4. (2h)LOOK-TO-lf CROSS. CHRIST WITH US. SHARE HIS-lf,hi SUFFERING IN YOUR"all" FLESH. BLAME-lf "WHAT"? HE ONLY lf-HAVE-MERCY-ON-us, OFFER PEACE. PROVE GOD HIS-rt,hi KINGDOM HAPPEN WILL.
Notes: CROSS - [C], PO away, FO up, traces cross by moving down, then across.
CRUCIFIED - Thumbside of [S] is "driven" into palm of [B], PO away, FO up, then vice versa.
MARY - [M] touches NDS temple, is drawn across forehead, and descends. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mary - 1.
CALVARY - MOUNTAIN + POSITIVE held high as if it were a cross on top of the mountain just indicated.
FEET CRUCIFIED - (2h)[1^] alt. index feet + [S], PO > NDS, FO away, stamps top of [B], PO down, FO away, then reverse sides and repeat if wished. Some say there was one nail that pierced both feet, in which cse you wouldn't need to repeat with reversed hands.
BETRAY - , PO > NDS, FO away, is held at the wrist of [B], PO > NDS, FO up, and NDH suddenly bends at wrist and moves > NDS. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Betray.
CHEEK - Rub cheek with DH FT.
PIERCED - , PO up, FO away, pierces between index and middle fingers of [modified B], PO > signer, FO > DS. The middle and index fingers are separated before being pierced.
TOUCHED - Middle finger of [open 8] strikes heart.
ME - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
CLOSE-FRIENDS - Hold up crossed fingers.
HAVE-MERCY-ON-us - (2h)[open 8], POs > signer, hands move in vertical circles normal (perpendicular) to the chest. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mercy - 2.
KINGDOM - KING + , PO down, FO away, circles horizontally. For an animated gif of this sign, see Valley Bible Church - ASL dictionary: Kingdom.
1, 5. Behold the cross on which was hung life's very Lord, God's only Son; Mary's own babe, so cold and so still, helpless before her on Calvary hill.
2. Nails in his hands, nails in his feet, a traitor kiss upon his cheek; and his pierced heart, now broken in two, love crucified for me and for you.
3. Eyes that won't see, ears that won't hear, lips that deny the friend once so dear; slowly he turns and captures your eye, then passes on to Calvary to die.
4. Behold the cross of Christ in our midst: all those who bear his wounds in their flesh. Suffering for crimes of mercy and peace, signs of the kingdom on Calvary street.