EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: BEYOND TIME-PERIOD LOOK-FORWARD MEANING DEEP, WE SEE FAITH SHINY AGAIN.
WE REALLY-WANT YOU-rt GUIDE US GO-TOGETHER EVERYDAY.
1. FORTY DAY-AND-NIGHT YOU-rt GUIDE OUR JOURNEY STEP-BY-STEP.
PRAY+ WE FEEL YOU-rt WITH US QUIET VOICE.
2. OUR JOURNEY NEED SOMETHING MORE-THAN BREAD ALONE.
PLEASE SPEAK WORDS THAT GIFT-TO-us LIFE, WHILE WE PRAY.
3. GOD, WE FEEL YOUR-rt HANDS LEAD US EVERYDAY.
TAKE-CARE-OF US, MAKE SURE WE SAFE. SUPPORT US GENTLE.
4. LENT TEACH US LOOK-FORWARD SUNRISE SHOW-us NEW DAY.
WE LOOK-FORWARD VISUALIZE OUR LIFE TAKE-OFF.
Notes: BEYOND / MORE-THAN - - (2h)[B^], touch FTs, then DH moves up in an arc towards the signer and away. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - more than.
TIME-PERIOD - [T], PO > NDS, FO up, travels in a vertical plane parallel to the NDH and makes contact with NDH [B], PO > DS, FO away. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Period - Time.
SHINY - (2h)[open 8], POs down, FOs away, twist rapidly at wrists while rising. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Shine.
REALLY-WANT - WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
YOU - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
DAY-AND-NIGHT - Begins like ALL-DAY and part of the way down the DH twists so that the PO ends pointing upwards and FT rise.
STEP-BY-STEP - PROCESS sith slight pauses.
GIFT-TO-us - (2h)[X], POs ><, FOs up, hands tip back towards signer to show that something is given as a gift.
GENTLE - SOFT.
LENT - Thumb of [L], Po > NDS< FO up, is drawn along mouth from NDS to DS.
Refrain: Beyond the days of hope and mystery, we see a Light of faith renewed,
and in our longing we thirst for guidance to walk with you day by day.
1. Forty days and nights you guide the steps of our journey.
May your presence be felt in the whipser of your voice.
2. Not on bread alone are we to walk on this journey. speak the words that give life to the yearnings of our hearts.
3. In your hands, O God, we feel the touch of your guidance. Keep us safe in your care: may your gentleness be there.
4. On our Lenten path we see the dawn of a new day. Be our vision of hope; be the promise of our lives.
To hear a partial performance of this, go to Beyond the Days | OCP.org.