EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. WAKE-UP, DON'T SLEEPY. GET-UP, DON'T NOD-OFF. SUNRISE MEAN DAY NEW, YOUR CRY+ PUSH-ASIDE. PEOPLE LIVE DARK PLACE, RECENTLY SEE GREAT LIGHT. LORD WE WANT GO-TOGETHER, CONQUER OUR NIGHT.
Refrain: COME-ON BUILD CITY FOR GOD. LET OUR CRY+ BECOME DANCE+. WHY? LORD, (<) OUR LIGHT (>) OUR SWEETHEART, CAUSE NIGHT BECOME DAY.
2. (<) WE SON CONNECT-lf MORNING; (>) WE DAUGHTER CONNECT-rt DAY. HE HIMSELF LOVE US, MAKE OUR WAY BRIGHT. LORD KIND WITHOUT LIMIT, CALL US BECOME LIGHT FOR HIS PEOPLE, HELP THEIR-rt HEART BECOME FREE. Refrain
3. GOD IDEA~LIKE LIGHT SHINE-DOWN. DARK, HE REJECT. COME-ON LET HIS LIGHT GUIDE (2h)YOU. #ALL-OF-YOU HIS CHILDREN. COMFORT MY PEOPLE. COMMUNICATE SOFT. ANNOUNCE MY PEOPLE, HIS CITY NOW BORN. Refrain
4. OUR CITY WILL alt.HAPPY. COME-ON JOIN OUR SONG. ANNOUNCE GOOD N-E-W-S. EVERYONE HAPPY CAN. Refrain
Notes: SLEEPY - [B^] fans face.
NOD-OFF - (2h)[B^], POs down, FOs ><, are held at eyebraws and alt. dip down as if eyelids are closing.
PUSH-ASIDE - (2h)[B], POs > DS, with DH higher, palms are pressed against imaginary wall that is pushed to one side.
GO-TOGETHER - (2h)[A], FOs away, hold palmsides together and move away.
COME-ON - (2h)[B^] move in circles pivoting at the wrists to beckon someone to do something.
CALL-ON - DH [B] taps NDH [B], PO down, FO > signer, then moves > signer while closing to an [A], PO away from signer, FO up, and moving up. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - call.
IDEA~LIKE - a blending where IDEA has a [Y] instead of an [I] in anticipation of LIKE which - signed smoothly right afterwards.
REJECT - Hands start like the final position of STOP and DH slides > DS while pronating.
#ALL-OF-YOU - [A], PO up, FO > DS - held at DS then swings away in an arc and ends [L^], PO up, FO > NDS.
1. Awake from your slumber! Arise from your sleep!
A new day is dawning for all those who weep.
The people in darkness have seen a great light.
The Lord of our longing has conquered the night.
Refrain: Let us build the city of God.
May our tears be turned into dancing!
For the Lord, our light and our love
Has turned the night into day!
2. We are sons of the morning; we are daughters of day.
The One who has loved us has brightened our way.
The Lord of all kindness has called us to be
A light for his people to set their hearts free.
3. God is light, in Him there is no darkness.
Let us walk in his light, his children one and all.
O comfort my people; make gentle your words.
Proclaim to my city the day of her birth.
4. O city of gladness, now lift up your voice!
Proclaim the good tidings that all may rejoice!
To hear a partial performance, go to http://jukebox.ocp.org/preview/10215_1_12.mp3.