EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. (looking towards God) COME, PLEASE COME, GOD WITH US. HELP YOUR-lf SPECIAL PEOPLE OPPRESSION-OFF. THEY-rt MOURN LONELY, FEEL REJECT HERE. UNTIL GOD HIS-rt SON ARRIVE PAH!
Refrain: GO-AHEAD CELEBRATE, GO-AHEAD CELEBRATE. GOD WITH US COME WILL. YOU"all" HIS-ctr SPECIAL PEOPLE.
2. COME WISE YOU-lf, LEAVE YOUR-lf ADVANCED PLACE. YOU-lf CONTROL EVERYTHING WITH YOUR-lf STRENGTH. SHOW"all"-rt RIGHT WAY GET KNOWLEDGE. TEACH"each"-rt RIGHT WAY LIVE. Refrain
3. COME, PLEASE COME, LORD MIGHTY. LONG-AGO JEWISH TRIBES WAIT NEAR MOUNTAIN S-I-N-A-I, YOU-lf GIFT-TO-rt THEM-rt YOUR-lf LAW. HAPPEN LIGHTNING, THUNDER, PEOPLE AWED. Refrain
5. COME, YOU-lf KING-DAVID HIS-ctr KEY, COME-DOWN. MAKE HEAVEN OUR HOME, OPEN-WIDE. MAKE SAFE OUR JOURNEY-TO-Heaven HEAVEN. WAY LEAD-TO SUFFER PLEASE CLOSE. Refrain
6. COME-DOWN, YOU-lf IDEA~LIKE SUNRISE, LEAVE YOUR-lf ADVANCED PLACE. HELP-us US HAPPY WHEN YOU-lf COME CLOSE. CAUSE SAD NIGHT CLOUD DISSOLVE. PLUS DEATH DARK SHAPE FORCE ZOOM. Refrain
7. COME EVERY NATION REALLY-WANT YOU-lf. HEART (2h)#ALL PEOPLE, TIE TOGETHER. SAD OUR GROUPS DISAGREE, COMMAND STOP. MEAN YOU-lf BECOME FOR US PRINCE CAUSE PEACE. Refrain
Notes: GOD WITH US - This is the meaning of Immanuel and works better than fingerspelling it.
SPECIAL PEOPLE- This is used in place of the English "Israel". The sign ISRAEL is for the country only, sometimes this means JEWISH PEOPLE, but here it is used in reference to Christians as the new "Israel", so SPECIAL PEOPLE shows the implicit meaning explicitly.
OPPRESSION-OFF - Starts like PRESSURE, DH [B], PO down, FO away, push down slightly on [S], PO > DS, FO away, then the DH is brought upwards suddenly and the signer mouths "off".
MOURN - (2h)[S] twist at heart as if wringing something out.
REJECT - Little finger side of [B], sweeps away something from palm of [B], PO up, FO away, and DH ends with PO down.
PAH! - Like SUCCEED but "pah" is mouthed and has the meaning of "at long last". For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - finally.
GO-AHEAD - (2h)[B^ dot], POs ><, FOs away, move forward in a jerk.
ADVANCED - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, move upwards arcing towards the signer.
MIGHTY - (2h)[S], POs > back of signer, FOs up, are held at NDS and fists descend, then repeat at DS.
TRIBES - GROUP"each" or T-GROUP"each".
KING-DAVID FATHER - This is used to represent Jesee, since that is who he was, and is preferrable to fingerspelling his name. KING-DAVID is D-KING.
PASS-DOWN'bit by bit' - (2h)[O^], circle around each other from the shoulder and moving forward, but the action is stop and go.
OPEN-WIDE - OPEN but signed broadly.
LEAD-TO - The same as the sign LEAD, but I changed the gloss to show its function (leading to).
ZOOM - Thumb of DH [L], PO away, FO up, is held against NDH [H], PO down, FO away, and DH slides away, closing to [bO].
REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
(2h)#ALL - (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, move away while opening to (2h)[L].
PRINCE - P-KING.
1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Refrain: Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
2. O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.
3. O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai's height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.
4. O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.
5. O come, Thou Key of David, come.
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
6. O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
7. O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.
To hear a performance of this song, go to Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashua recordings: O come, o come, Emmanuel.