EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: LORD, WE REALLY-WANT OUR PRAYER RISE LIKE INCENSE WHILE YOU-ctr LOOK-DOWN-ON-us. REALLY-WANT THIS PLACE SMELL SWEET LIKE CHRIST.
Alternate refrain 1: WE JOIN ANGEL IN HEAVEN LORD, ||: REALLY-WANT PRAISE YOUR-ctr NAME. :||
Alternate refrain 2: LORD, SAME DAY ME ASK HELP, ||: YOU-ctr ANSWER ME. :||
1. ME THANK YOU-ctr LORD WITH MY WHOLE HEART. YOU ACCEPT WORDS FROM MY MOUTH. ME JOIN ANGEL IN HEAVEN BOW-DOWN-TO YOU-ctr. ME ADORE YOU-ctr WHILE APPROACH YOUR TEMPLE HOLY.
2. ME THANK YOU-ctr, LORD. WHY? ME TRUST YOU-ctr CAN. YOU-ctr LOVE MORE-THAN ME CAN HOPE OR DREAM. SAME DAY ME ASK HELP, YOU-ctr ANSWER ME. YOU-ctr GIFT-TO-me ME STRONG SOUL FOR LIFE.
3. (2h)#ALL THINGS LIVE EARTH THANK YOU-ctr. WHY? THEY-rt HEAR WORDS FROM YOUR VOICE. (2h)#ALL SING ABOUT YOU-ctr. GOD HIS-ctr GLORY TRUE-BIZ GREAT.
Notes: REALLY-WANT - WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
RISE - (2H), POs down, FOs away, hands rise while wg.
INCENSE - NDH , PO > signer, FO up, - held somewhat low, DH produces SMELL, then [5^], PO down, starts at end of incense stick and circles upwards like smoke.
YOU - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
LOOK-DOWN-ON-us - (2h)[V^], POs > signer, FOs up, hands are held high and FT tip down to show the subject is "looking down" on someone.
ANGEL - (2h)[B^] touch FTs to shoulders, then arms extended and bent move slightly as if flying gently.
HEAVEN - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs ><, hands are held high, circle around each other and then separate.
The signs between "||:" and ":||" are to be repeated.
WHOLE - (2h)[B^], POs up, FOs ><, DH circles around NDH and lands on its palm. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Whole.
BOW-DOWN-TO - (2h)[B], POs away, FOs up, are held like the final position of GIVE-UP, then bend these arms twice while bowing at waist once.
ADORE - NDH is clasped over DH [S] and hands circle perpendicular to the chest. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Worship.
APPROACH - (2h)[B], FOs up, DH PO away, ND is held in front of NDH and palm faces it, then both hands approach one another slightly.
TEMPLE - T-CHURCH.
HOLY - H-CLEAN. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Holy - 1.
MORE-THAN - (2h)[B^], touch FTs, then DH moves up in an arc towards the signer and away. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - more than.
GIFT-TO-me - (2h)[X], POs ><, FOs up, hands alt. flip thumb sides > signer.
(2h)#ALL - (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, are held at shoulder height and move away while opening to (2h)[L].
GLORY - (2h), POs><, FOs away from signer, DH which is on top wiggles fingers while ascending. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Glory.
TRUE-BIZ - TRUE + (2h)[S], POs down, FOs away, DH brushes from side to side across NDH wrist.
GREAT - (2h)[B], POs away, FOs up, push away from signer.
Lyrics: (Orange book, p 30)
Refrain: Lord, may our prayer rise like incense in your sight. May this place be filled with the fragrance of Christ.
Alt. Refrain 1: In the presence of the angels, O Lord, may we praise your name, may we praise your name.
Alt. Refrain 2: Lord, on the day that I cried out for help, you answered me, you answered me.
1. I will thank you, Lord, with all of my heart. You have heard the words of my mouth. In the presence of the angels, I will bless you. I will adore before your holy temple.
2. I will thank you, Lord, for your faithfulness and love, beyond all my hopes and dreams. On the day that I called, you answered; you gave life to the strength of my soul.
3. All who live on earth shall give you thanks when they hear the words of your voice, and all shall sing of your ways: "How great is the glory of God!"
To hear a musical setting of these lyrics (without words), go to Psalms and click on "Midi File" at the end of the row entitled "Psalm 138: The Fragrance of Christ."