EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. COLLECT SPIRIT. GATHER POWER. INSIDE-SELF OUR FIRE BLEND~COOPERATE. EXPERIENCE THIS HOUR, STRANGE INSPIRE. WE TELL-STORY ABOUT STRUGGLE, REALIZE WE SAME-'in circle'.
Refrain: ASSEMBLE, PEACE. ASSEMBLE, THANK++-God. FROM-TIME-TO-TIME ASSEMBLE, LEARN FEEL SAME. ASSEMBLE, HAVE HOPE, KINDNESS, STRENGTH. ASSEMBLE FOR-FOR? CELEBRATE AGAIN.
2. COLLECT SPIRIT, HEART, MIND. USE THREE-OF-THEM, PLANT-SEEDS-'in circle', GROW. LOVE NURTURE-seeds, (2h)alt.MAKE-MISTAKE, LEARN-LESSON. (<) BODY, (>) SPIRIT, COOPERATE AGAIN. Refrain.
3. COLLECT SPIRIT CAUSE EVERYTHING GROW. (<) MOON moon-PULL-UPWARDS. (>) SUN FEED-earth. WINTER, SPRING, SUMMER, FALL. EVERYTHING ALIVE GO-TOWARDS-GOAL. Refrain.
Notes: GATHER - DH [5:], PO down, FO away, "scrapes" things into the NDH which is below it as a [B], PO up, FO away and both hands move from DS to NDS.
INSIDE-SELF - INSIDE held against the chest.
BLEND~COOPERATE - (2h)[5:], POs > signer, are interlaced and FTs move down like a gear that blends into the sign COOPERATE.
ASSEMBLE - (2h)[S] opens to a [5wg] as the hands come towards signer from their respective sides.
NURTURE-seeds - (2h)[B], PO down are held high and swoop down while supinating and then rise up again as if helping something mature. I added "seeds" to show what we are nurturing.
LEARN-LESSON - Touch the forehead with the FT of [O^] and then with the palm of [B].
moon-PULL-UPWARDS - (2h)[S], POs away, behave as if holding onto rope that is connecting the signer to the moon and pulling it upwards.
1. Gather the spirit, harvest the power!
Our separate fires will kindle one flame.
Witness the mystery of this hour!
Our trials in this light appear all the same.
Refrain: Gather in peace, gather in thanks!
Gather in sympathy now and then!
Gather in hope, compassion and strength!
Gather to celebrate once again!
2. Gather the spirit of heart and mind!
Seeds for the sowing are laid in store,
Nurtured in love, and conscience refined,
With body and spirit united once more.
3. Gather the spirit growing in all,
Drawn by the moon and fed by the sun,
Winter to spring, and summer to fall,
The chorus of life resounding as one!
To hear a performance of this song, go to Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashua recordings: Gather the spirit.