EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. KNOW-THAT DEER REALLY-WANT ANIMAL-DRINK WATER, PARALLEL MY SOUL WANT DRINK-IN YOU, GOD. MY SOUL THIRST FOR GOD HIMSELF LIVE. ME SEE YOUR FACE WHEN?
2. MY TEARS ME SWALLOW DAY-AND-NIGHT. SOME ASK-me, (role play with sneer) YOUR GOD WHERE? (end role play) INSIDE-SELF FEEL GONE, BUT ME LOOK-BACK TIME-PERIOD PRAISE YOU INSIDE TEMPLE.
3. ME MOURN, STRUGGLE INSIDE-SELF FOR-FOR? ME HOPE GOD HELP-me SHOULD. ME SING PRAISE GOD AGAIN WILL. HIMSELF MY HOPE, HIMSELF MY HOUSE.
Notes: KNOW-THAT - Starts like KNOW but twists and descends, looking almost like DON'T-KNOW except the hand twists down at the end.
REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
ANIMAL-DRINK - [5^], PO down, FO away, hand moves > mouth and closes mutliple times.
PARALLEL - (2h), POs down, FOs away, move forward. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Parallel.
DRINK-IN - (2h)[5^], PO away, FO up, hand moves > mouth and closes mutliple times.
Underlined prounouns (ME>, YOU>, HE) are honorific index (HON.-IX), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
INSIDE-SELF - The FT of [C] are held against the chest and stuff the FT of [O^] into the [C] twice.
LOOK-BACK - (2h)[H or V] are brought back over the shoulder, POs down, FOs back.
TIME-PERIOD - [T], PO > NDS, FO up, travels in a vertical plane parallel to the NDH and makes contact with NDH [B], PO > DS, FO away. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Period - Time.
1. As the deer longs for flowing streams, so longs my soul for you, O God. My soul does thirst for the living God, when shall I come to see your face?
2. My tears have fed me day and night, while some have said, "Where is your God?" But I recall as my soul pours dry, the days of praise within your house.
3. Why do I mourn and toil within, when it is mine to hope in God? I shall again sing praise to him. He is my help; he is my house.
To hear the music (without words), go to MIDI music: A and click on "As the deer longs."