EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: WATER CROSS-ON-FOREHEAD, ASHES CROSS-ON-FOREHEAD. WE TRUST YOUR-rt LOVE, OUR GOD.
1. HAVE-MERCY-ON US, GOD HAVE COMPASSION. OUR INSULT-rt REMOVE THROUGH MIGHT. OUR GUILT WASH-body AWAY. MAKE US WORTHY WALK YOUR WAY DO JUSTICE.
2. YOU-rt ALWAYS AWARE ME TEND SIN. YOUR-rt WAY ME OFF-PATH-lf&rt THAT'S-ALL. BUT YOU-rt MIGHTY, HAVE POWER HAVE-MERCY-ON-me. ME FORGIVE OTHERS, MEAN YOU BLESS WILL.
3. CLEAN-UP MY SIN AND ME PURE WILL, LORD. WASH ME CLEAN MORE-THAN SNOW. ALLOW ME HEAR JOY AND GLADNESS ONLY POSSIBLE WITHOUT GUILT.
4. MAKE MY HEART PURE, GOD HAVE-MERCY. MAKE MY SPIRIT UPRIGHT AGAIN. DON'T-WANT LOSE YOUR-rt LOVING PRESENCE. WHY? REALLY-WANT WORSHIP, SACRIFICE AND SING.
5. GOD, MY HEART AND VOICE ME RAISE-UP PRAISE YOU-rt. SACRIFICE WRONG INTEND, YOU-rt REJECT. ME OFFER-UP "WHAT"? SPIRIT HUMBLE AND LOWLY. ME HEAR YOU-rt SAY, (role play from rt) MY CHILD, COME HOME.
Notes: CROSS-ON-FOREHEAD - Thumb of [A dot] traces a cross on the forehead as if apploying ashes or anointing oil.
ASHES - FIRE DISSOLVE + (2h), POs down, FOs away, touch thumbs and then make a horizontal circle (each hand making half of the circle).
HAVE-MERCY-ON [US] - (2h)[open 8], POs > signer, hands move in vertical circles normal (perpendicular) to the chest. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mercy - 2.
COMPASSION - HEART + (2h)[5^] descend slightly twice while closing to (2h)[O^] but hands close to heart.
MIGHT/MIGHTY - (2h)[S], POs > back of signer, FOs up, are held at NDS and fists descend, then repeat at DS.
GUILT - GUILTY.
AWAY - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs away, nod hands down, then up, with a movement of the arms to show that something is being swept away.
WORTHY - IMPORTANT.
YOU - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
AWARE - KNOW+.
SIN - (2h)[X] touch their respective sides of the mouth, descend to neutral space and circle antisymmetrically parallel to the chest. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Sin.
OFF-PATH-lf&rt - DH [S], PO > NDS, flicks finger > NDS from off , PO > NDS, FO up. Then DH flicks > DS.
THAT'S-ALL - FINISH with the mouthing "that's all".
BLESS - (2h)[O^], POs ><, held at mouth. Hands are brought downwards while opening to (2h). For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Bless.
CLEAN-UP - CLEAN is repeated with both hands mvoing in a horizontal circle.
MORE-THAN - (2h)[B^], touch FTs, then DH moves up in an arc towards the signer and away. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - more than.
JOY - (1) alt.HAPPY. (2) EXCITED. (3) J-EXCITED.
GLADNESS - HAPPY.
PURE - Like NICE but the DH moves backwards slightly on the palm, pauses, then moves forward rapidly to show intensity.
UPRIGHT - Elbow of [S], PO > NDS, FO up, is struck against the fingers of NDH [B] held like part of TABLE.
LOVING - LOVE is repeated close to the body.
PRESENCE - TOGETHER.
REALLY-WANT - WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
WORSHIP - NDH is clasped over DH [S] and hands circle perpendicular to the chest. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Worship.
RAISE-UP - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs away, lower slightly, supinate, and rise up.
INTEND - THINK~MEAN, where the first sign starts out with a [V].
LOWLY - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, move downwards arcing towards the signer. This is the opposite of the sign ADVANCED. For an animated gif of ADVANCED, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Exalted.
Refrain: Signed by water, signed by ashes, secure in your love, O God.
1. Have mercy on us, God in your compassion. Wipe out our offenses by your might. Wash away our guilt; make us worthy to walk your path in justice.
2. My sinfulness is visible, ever before you. Against you alone I've transgressed. But in you is the mighty power of mercy; when I forgive, I am blest.
3. Cleanse me of my sin and I'll be pure, O Lord. Wash me so I'm cleaner than snow. Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness that only those forgiven ever know.
4. Create for me a clean heart, God of mercy. Renew a steadfast spirit in me. Cast me not out from your loving presence, that I may worship, sacrifice and sing.
5. O God, my heart and voice are raised to praise you. You are not pleased with sacrifice alone. My sacrifice: a contrite, humble spirit; I've heard your invitation: "Child, come home!"