EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. THIS-baby C-H-I-L-D OURS, THIS MIRACLE. YOU-God VISUALIZE ITS-baby's SPECIAL PLAN. YOU WASH-body WASH-baby CLEAN. YOU CRADLE-PAT. YOU BLESS-baby, YOU CALL IT YOURS. ||: THIS C-H-I-L-D OURS, THIS C-H-I-L-D YOURS. :||
2. THIS C-H-I-L-D YOURS-God's, THIS MIRACLE. NOW BORN AGAIN THROUGH WATER AND YOUR WORD. YOU SMILE WHILE ANGEL SCADS-OF CELEBRATE. YOU CALL IT YOURS. ||: THIS C-H-I-L-D YOURS, THIS C-H-I-L-D OURS. :||
3. THIS C-H-I-L-D OURS, THIS MIRACLE. CHRIST DIE FOR IT. NOW WE WILL LOVE, WILL TRAIN, RAISE IT. WE TEACH, PRAISE. WATCH SPIRIT INFLUENCE LIFE. ||: THIS C-H-I-L-D OURS, THIS C-H-I-L-D YOURS. :||
Notes: THIS-baby - The honorific index is used to point to the actual location of the baby/babies to be baptised.
MIRACLE - WONDERFUL(1x) WORK. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Miracle.
YOU-God - All instances of "you" and "yours" in this hymn refer to God.
WASH-body WASH-baby - (2h)[A], rubs palms in symmetric circles on chest and then on the horizontal surface of the baby.
CRADLE-PAT - Mime patting the back of a baby who has its head slung over the signer's shoulder.
BLESS - (2h)[O^], POs ><, held at mouth. Hands are brought downwards while opening to (2h). For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Bless.
The signs between "||:" and ":||" are to be repeated.
SCADS-OF - (2h)[5:], POs down, FOs away, move forward to show many beings.
RAISE - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs away, lower slightly, supinate, and rise up.
1. This child of ours, this miracle - You have a dream and plan for it. You wash it clean. You cradle it. You bless it and You call it Yours: this child of ours, this child of Yours.
2. This child of Yours, this miracle - reborn of Water and the Word. The Book of Life records its name. You smile and angels celebrate: this child of Yours, this child of ours.
3. This child of ours, this miracle - whom Christ would die for, we may love and train and raise, and teach and praise, and watch the Spirit mold a life: this child or ours, this child of Yours.