EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: YAHWEH, ME KNOW YOU-rt NEAR. ALWAYS STAND NEXT-TO ME. YOU-rt GUARD AGAINST MY ENEMY AND LEAD ME WAY ETERNAL.
1. LORD, MY HEART YOU-rt ANALYZE-me. YOU-rt KNOW* EVERYTHING ME DO. YOUR-rt HANDS PROTECT ME AGAINST DEATH. PREVENT ANY HURT.
2. ME ESCAPE YOUR-rt LOVE HOW? IF ME CLIMB HEAVEN, YOU-rt THERE-rt. IF ME BIRD-FLY TO SUNRISE OR SAIL PLACE SEA END, STILL ME FIND YOU-rt THERE-rt.
3. YOU-rt KNOW MY HEART AND TEND MY. YOU-rt SCULPT MY SHAPE BEFORE BORN. INSIDE MY MOTHER STOMACH, SECRET PLACE DARK BEFORE ME SEE SUNSHINE.
4. YOUR-rt WORK, ME FEEL AWED. YOUR-rt alt.IDEA DEEP, MY LORD. SUPPOSE ME COUNT alt.IDEA CAN, MANY* LIKE STAR DOT-SKY. YOU-rt STILL THERE-rt.
Notes: YAHWEH - Y-GOD.
ME - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
ETERNAL - ALWAYS + DH produces STILL in the usual way, and the NDH produces STILL so that it moves back over the shoulder. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Eternal.
HEAVEN - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs ><, hands are held high, circle around each other and then separate.
BIRD-FLY - (2h)[B] cross at wrists and hands flap like wings while showing the path of the flight.
SAIL - DH [B^], PO > signer, FO up, rests on dorsal (back) side of hand which is held as in TABLE. The signer blows into the DH palm and the "ship" moves forward.
SCULPT - FT of [A dot] digs and twists at palm of [B], PO > DS, FO away.
AWED - (2h)[S], POs ><, FOs up are held at eyes with awed facial expression and the hands open and then close.
DOT-SKY - (2h)[5:], POs and FOs diagonally up, hands jab upwards as if dotting the sky with stars.
Refrain: Yahweh, I know you are near, standing always at my side. You guard me from the foe, and you lead me in ways everlasting.
1. Lord, you have searched my heart, and you know when I sit and when I stand. Your hand is upon me protecting me from death, keeping me from harm.
2. Where can I run from your love? If I climb to the heavens you are there; if I fly to the sunrise or sail beyond the sea, still I'd find you there.
3. You know my heart and its ways, you who formed me before I was born, in the secret of darkness before I saw the sun, in my mother's womb.
4. Marvelous to me are your works; how profound are your thoughts, my Lord. Even if I could count them, they number as the stars, you would still be there.
To hear a musical setting of these lyrics (without words), go to MIDI music, Y and click on "You are near".