EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. WHO THIS-lf CHILD NOW LIE"over time" REST. HE-lf SLEEP WHILE MARY ROCK HIM-lf. ANGEL THEY-rt,hi GREET-lf, AND THEY-rt,hi SING SWEET. WHILE SHEPHERD THEY-ctr WATCH THEIR-ctr SHEEP.
Refrain: THIS-lf, THIS-lf WHO? CHRIST HIMSELF-lf KING. (<) SHEPHERD PROTECT"over time"-lf, (>) ANGEL SING. HURRY, HURRY, BRING-TO-lf HONOR-lf. HOW? alt.GIFT-TO-lf. THIS-lf INFANT, MARY HER-rt SON.
2. WHY HE-lf LIVE SO-MUCH POOR SURROUNDING? (<) O-X AND (>) DONKEY HIS-lf NEIGHBOR. GOOD CHRISTIAN (2h)YOU, KNOW-THAT HE-lf BEG HEAVENLY-FATHER HAVE-MERCY-ON-us US FOR OUR SIN. Refrain
3. COME-ON BRING-TO-lf (<) GOLD, (>) INCENSE BITTER AND SWEET. (<) POOR, (>) RICH ACCEPT HIM-lf CAN. KING SUPREME SALVATION OFFER. OUR LOVING HEART CROWN-lf HIM-lf. Refrain
Notes: THIS-lf - All underlined pronouns are honorific index.
ROCK - Hands are positioned like BABY by arms swing from left to right in a more exaggerated way.
GREET - Hands alt. salute from forehead, but hands are more diagonal than a military salute.
MARY - [M] touches NDS temple, is drawn across forehead, and descends. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mary - 1.
'S - Same as POSS. where the palm of [B] here is held > God. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: His.
SO-MUCH - (2h)[5:], POs ><, FOs away, separate while "so much" is mouthed.
INCENSE - NDH , PO > signer, FO up, - held somewhat low, DH produces SMELL, then [5^], PO down, starts at end of incense stick and circles upwards like smoke.
SUPREME - (2h)[A], FOs away, DH starts below NDH and arcs around it until it is on top.
LOVING - LOVE is repeated close to the body.
CROWN (v) - (2h)[L:] (like BIG) place crown on head with large single movement. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Crown.
1. What child is this, who laid to rest,
on Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
while shepherds watch are keeping?
Refrain: This, this is Christ the King,
whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
haste, haste to bring him laud,
the babe, the son of Mary.
2. Why lies he in such mean estate
where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christian, fear: for sinners here
the silent Word is pleading. Refrain
3. So bring him incense, gold, and myrrh,
come, peasant, king, to own him;
the King of kings salvation brings,
let loving hearts enthrone him. Refrain
To hear the music (without words), go to The cyber hymnal: What child is this?